Food security is when people can access and afford nutritious food to live a healthy life.
Food insecurity is when people do not have enough money to afford a nutritious diet. The root cause of food insecurity is low income. Food insecurity has been related to poorer physical and mental health and wellness.
The ‘Food For All’ (FFA) committee works with all stakeholders to ensure a sustainable food system and increased food security in Elgin County and the City of St. Thomas. The FFA committee identifies services, gaps and potential opportunities; and connects organizations, communities and individuals together, to facilitate communication and collaboration. FFA is guided by the Elgin St. Thomas Food Charter. The Charter describes our community’s vision of a healthy food system. The Charter outlines the values and beliefs about food in our community to provide guidance for decisions among government, businesses, communities, families, and individuals.
What can you do?
- Learn more
- Talk about the issue
- Talk to your friends, family, and colleagues about what can be done to reduce food insecurity
- Spread the word on social media
- Call or write to your local MP or MPP about household food insecurity in your community
- Get involved during elections – your vote matters!
- Get involved in food programs in your community